American Idle

It's kinda like American Idol, but only if you sing my posts out loud.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Hamilton Square, New Jersey, United States

Tax guy, host & producer of the Consumerism Commentary Podcast, former co-host of the Wall Street Journal E-Report

Thursday, March 30, 2006

The annual letdown

It's about this time every year where I start shaking off my winter doldrums and start feeling alive again. I start waking up to daylight again, the temperatures start reaching up into sixties and the smell of spring (aka pollen) is in the air.

But I always start feeling spring a little bit sooner than that. To me, spring is when the baseball magazines start coming out. From the team preview magazines to the fantasy baseball ones, just the mere thought of baseball refreshes my soul.

But the funny thing is that I can't figure out why. I kind of have a love-hate relationship with baseball. I follow the sport religiously, I play in way too many fantasy leagues but, for the love of God, I can't stand sitting through an entire game. No matter how much I try, I seem to lose interest by the 5th or 6th inning. And it's not just being a Royals fan either...although I'm sure no one would blame me for not being able to sit through one of their games. I have this problem with the playoffs and the World Series too.

I know baseball can be boring to a lot of people, but if you pay attention, it's really an exciting game. Each pitch is a move in a chess game, with the batter trying to guess the pitchers next attack while countering with one of his own. The casual viewer usually doesn't notice, but if you're really in tune with the game there's so many little nuances to be found that you can really get sucked in. It's like of those stereograms that were popular in the mid-nineties...once you see the hidden image it's hard to look away.

But It's like I can't stay focused recently. My mind drifts from pitch to pitch until I don't remember what happened to the last three batters. It's like I can't let myself relax during a game and I'm always thinking about something else. Part of that is probably the curse of being a Royals fan. The team hasn't been a true contender in over a decade, their roster has hardly even been worth getting excited about recently and they're usually mathematically eliminated by May.

Anyway, I'm going to try to change that this year. Since DirecTV usually offers the first week free of all of it's sports packages in order to attract potential buyers, I've taken off from work on Monday so that I can watch the first full slate of games across the country, and especially the first Royal game of the year. Hey, I usually only get to see the Royals when they play the Yankees, and even then only when it's over a weekend. So, what the hell, why not get one game out of the way now at the beginning of the year before they fall out of contention?

And I'll sit through at least one game, even if I need the help of Mister Sam Adams to do it.

Besides, spring is in the air...maybe I'll even put my TV out on the back patio and watch it there!

2 Comments:

Blogger Doobie said...

That's okay, since I have a wireless A/V transmitter, I'm actually hooked on the thought of bringing a TV outside and watching at least SOME baseball there. However, the early forecast for Monday is the "possibility of an afternoon shower", so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for better weather.

3/30/2006 11:51 PM  
Blogger Doobie said...

Not bad. It figures, though, that the one rainy day we've had in the last two weeks happened to be yesterday. Although that in itself would have derailed my plans to watch TV outside on my back patio, my wife also wound up taking the day off which means the common sense "what the hell are you doing with that TV?" element would have stopped me too.

The games started at 1 PM so I was able to get my baseball fix by switching between about five games before the Royals game came on at 4 PM.

I was able to make it through the entire game, although it was a struggle considering it was a 3-1 snoozefest. The only positive aspect of the loss was the old fantasy-reality conflicting interest scenario...the guy who killed the Royals by blasting two home runs was the guy I owned in all three of my fantasy baseball leagues.

4/04/2006 6:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares