American Idle

It's kinda like American Idol, but only if you sing my posts out loud.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Hamilton Square, New Jersey, United States

Tax guy, host & producer of the Consumerism Commentary Podcast, former co-host of the Wall Street Journal E-Report

Monday, October 24, 2005

Why the f--- are Mickey and Pooh still popular?



Okay, being in my mid-thirties I've only recently been re-introduced to kids TV. However, since I never really grew up I prefer to think that although I got out of the water my bathing suit was still wet.

Anyway, now that I'm seeing all the kids toys and children's shows on TV, I have to ask...why the hell are Disney and Winnie the Pooh characters still emblazoned on so many kids products? We all remember them when we were kids, but what have the Disney and Pooh gangs done recently?

At least with Sesame Street, you get to watch them every day on TV. You get to follow the daily interactions between the characters. You get to understand each character's strong points and weaknesses.

But not with Mickey and Pooh. Maybe because I've been out of the children's mainstream for a awhile but, aside from the Heffalump movie, I don't recall seeing much done from Disney to promote the main characters from either product. I mean, Christ, Disney has their own channel but you're lucky to find one show dedicated to Mickey, Donald Duck, Goofy and the gang. Ditto for Pooh. With what they currently show, they might as well replace all the Disney World mascots with The Wiggles, Kim Possible and Raven. At least my kid will recognize those characters...

1 Comments:

Blogger Doobie said...

Yeah, but at some point the kid has got to wonder who those characters are on all of his toys. On a related front, you have to now wonder how long before the Peanuts gang dies off completely now that Charles Schulz is gone. They haven't been that popular for the last 15 years or so anyway, but now that the drab run of "Marcie's a Lesbian, Charlie Brown!"-type specials are over with, you have to wonder how much gas is left in the tank.

10/25/2005 9:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares