American Idle

It's kinda like American Idol, but only if you sing my posts out loud.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Hamilton Square, New Jersey, United States

Tax guy, host & producer of the Consumerism Commentary Podcast, former co-host of the Wall Street Journal E-Report

Sunday, December 24, 2006

My simple solution for travelers stranded in Denver

Maybe I'm missing a key piece of information here, but why don't people stranded in Denver simply do this:

1. Rent car from major provider
2. Drive a few hours to another airport and fly from there.

My take is this. If you can afford it and you *really* want to get home for Christmas, just drive to another airport. The roads should be clear now, it's just the airlines that are backed up. Santa Fe is, I believe, the closest "International" airport to Denver at six hours away, but all you really need to do is just drive to another, smaller airport that connects to a major hub and you're good to go (assuming, of course, that the rental car company has an office in that city where you can drop off that car). Hell, according to this link, there are seven other non-Denver airports in Colorado. Drive there and use those airlines to get the hell out!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're giving people far too much credit for their intelligence...

12/24/2006 9:07 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Two things:

1) You're making an assumption that there are cars at DEN left to be rented, and that all of the highways leading to those other airports are clear and open, and
2) Travelers cease being human and turn into some form of crazed beast when their flights get cancelled. It's not a matter of intelligence, Darre, but rather a matter of being of a rational mind. I'm sure the ones who were still thinking rationally were able to secure transport, either on another flight, in a rental car, or - heaven forbid - a bus. But many of the ones left at the airport - first time fliers, vacationers, people who don't like flying under the BEST of conditions - are no longer rational, and they're the ones sitting in the airport waiting for the airlines to 'do the right thing', like a child holding their breath until they get the hot toy at Xmas.

12/25/2006 1:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

FUCK - Now you tell me. I waited 2 days for my flight and never once did this occur to me.I am such an idiot!!! When I read your blog it seemed so ovious but I was turned into some form of crazed beast and lost my rational mind.
I'll know for next time; live and learn.

12/25/2006 8:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares