American Idle

It's kinda like American Idol, but only if you sing my posts out loud.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Hamilton Square, New Jersey, United States

Tax guy, host & producer of the Consumerism Commentary Podcast, former co-host of the Wall Street Journal E-Report

Thursday, April 27, 2006

I can't wait for Skynyrd's retaliation song


I've always liked Neil Young. Perhaps it's my fascination with odd sounding lead singers. Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, his solo work, even some old Buffalo Springfield. I always took the lyrics of his protest songs with a grain of salt, just seeing them as simply a product of the 60's.

But now his anti-American rhetoric is pissing me off. Here's the lyrics to his latest song, "Let's Impeach the President":

Let’s impeach the president for lying
And leading our country into war
Abusing all the power that we gave him
And shipping all our money out the door

He’s the man who hired all the criminals
The White House shadows who hide behind closed doors
And bend the facts to fit with their new stories
Of why we have to send our men to war


Let’s impeach the president for spying
On citizens inside their own homes
Breaking every law in the country
By tapping our computers and telephones


What if Al Qaeda blew up the levees
Would
New Orleans have been safer that way
Sheltered by our government’s protection
Or was someone just not home that day?


Let’s impeach the president
For hijacking our religion and using it to get elected
Dividing our country into colors
And still leaving black people neglected


Thank god he’s cracking down on steroids
Since he sold his old baseball team
There’s lot of people looking at big trouble
But of course the president is clean


Thank God


Where do I start here?

  1. Most of these lyrics are extremely strong exaggerations or outright lies.
  2. What do you mean "our country" asshole? Last time I checked, you were Canadian. Maybe instead of "president", you meant to say "prime minister"?
  3. Exactly what prompted him to write this song? Last I heard, he was writing "Let's Roll" in honor of the victims of Flight 93. Is the cash flow starting to dry out for Neil? Maybe he realized it's time for him to try to recapture some of his youth (and cash) by writing protest songs again. I'm sure he'd be able to regain some of popularity with the loony left by offering crackpot theories that appeal to them.

You don't like America? Stay in Canada and shut the fuck up. What? You want Toby Keith to start releasing songs criticizing the metric system, socialized medicine and Molson Ice? Yeah, I didn’t *think* so.

Note: I love Canada, and I love the majority of Canadians (although, as a Bruins fan, the Montreal Canadiens are my mortal enemies). I’d go to war to defend Canada if, for any strange reason, they were attacked. To me, Canada is like a family member...you don't always see eye-to-eye with them, but there's so many similarities between you that you overlook the minor disagreements. When the chips are down, we can count on Canada (don't forget the Iranian Hostage Crisis in 1979) and Canada knows they can count on us. I just don’t like foreigners proselytizing their beliefs, especially when they’re doing it under the guise of being an American.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you're an idiot

1/24/2007 6:38 PM  
Blogger Doobie said...

Nothing like insightful commentary from someone posting anonymously.

1/25/2007 4:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares