American Idle

It's kinda like American Idol, but only if you sing my posts out loud.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Hamilton Square, New Jersey, United States

Tax guy, host & producer of the Consumerism Commentary Podcast, former co-host of the Wall Street Journal E-Report

Sunday, October 01, 2006

Can someone come to an agreement on how to make a pot of coffee?

One thing I've found is that you can never please anyone while making coffee. You like yours at a certain strength, while others like theirs weaker or stronger. Finding a common ground (no pun intended) is almost impossible.

For four cups of coffee (that would be as in "fill water reservoir to the '4' line on my auto drip coffee maker"), I usually put in about 1 and 3/4 scoops of coffee. The scoop is technically one tablespoon and I stopped using tablespoons because of how arbitrary the mound of coffee was while using it. But of course, that's always too strong for other people. One family member uses 1 and 1/2 scoops for every 4 cups. Another, 1 and 1/4.

So I go to the internet for assistance and their recommendations are even worse. About.com recommended a "heaping tablespoon" for every cup. What the hell is "heaping"? That ambiguity is why I stopped using tablespoons to begin with. So I figure I'd lean on Starbucks' advice from the back of one of their bags o' coffee. They recommend a ridiculous TWO scoops of coffee per cup. Going by their advice, I'd have an unbelievable eight scoops for every four cups of water. If my family complained about my coffee being strong with 1 and 3/4 scoops, I can only imagine what they'd do with eight scoops.

At least that would explain why I can't drink Starbucks without some sort of flavor concoction in it.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think Matt should be drinking coffee, anyway. :)

10/01/2006 6:09 PM  
Blogger jimbuff said...

Doob,
I like to use 1 scoop per cup but first wash your pot in boiling water and then immediately begin to brew coffee (while pot is still hot). The real trick for taste however is to use the coldest water possible to filter through your coffee. - Use these simple steps and everyone will be enjoying great coffee. You can take the credit for this if you wish.

10/03/2006 1:27 PM  
Blogger Doobie said...

I'd try that, but I think the one-to-one ratio is still too strong for my normal audiences. These guys can't handle 1 and 3/4 scoops per four cups, let alone 4 scoops for 4 cups.

I've heard that hot/cold recommendation before but I usually never get around to doing it...but that's usually because I'm half comatose when I'm brewing it. Any time I can make a pot of coffee in the early morning without coffee grounds or water getting all over the place, it's a success. Turning on the water and waiting for it to get hot gives too much leeway for me to fall back asleep while standing over the sink. Then I'd have to explain the burn marks on my hands and face to my family.

10/03/2006 3:58 PM  
Blogger jimbuff said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10/03/2006 10:50 PM  
Blogger jimbuff said...

You just got to adjust your ratio - I am Canadian and we drink strong coffee. I forgot about you and your friends being American when I wrote this and that you like your coffee the same as your beer - WEAK!

10/03/2006 10:51 PM  
Blogger Doobie said...

Hey, that's a stereotype! LOL I'll have you know I'm a Samuel Adams drinker and, believe it or not, will grab a Molson on occasion. Back before Sammies became big, I drank Molson Ice regularly.

10/03/2006 10:59 PM  
Blogger jimbuff said...

Just a little joke. I was going to say the same as your beer and President but I try my best not to be political. Pisses people off sometimes if I do get political.
Oh and to show I am not biased our PM (Prime Minister - like President but Canadian version) is also WEAK!
Take Care,

JIm

10/04/2006 3:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares